When I stay at my boyfriend’s place on the weekend, I generally know that I’m going to be drinking. And drinking alot. There’s no holding back at his place and I find that the lax attitudes of everyone in his family regarding drinking taking an effect on me.
But I never like how I feel the next morning. I have a headache, I feel tired, my stomach hurts and my skin feels gross and dry. Majority of the times, once I get home or stumble to bed, I’m so tired that I wipe my make up off with cleansing wipes and go to sleep. Normally my routine entails one minute with my Clarisonic, followed by night cream or rosehip oil (i use Sukin brand for both) depending on how my skin is feeling, followed again by eye cream. If I have any breakouts, I also apply some RX Results Acne Mask to the spot and go to sleep.
So I try to not forget but occasionally I do. So here’s what I do throughout the day and the next morning to ensure I feel ok.
The Day Of:
- I ensure that I drink at least 2 litres of water. This ensures that even if I drink alot, I’ve already had enough water. However doing this step doesn’t mean you should forgo the water whilst drinking.
- Avoid salty foods whilst drinking as this makes you more thirsty and likely to make you drink even more.
- Avoid mixing drinks with soft drinks as you are likely to consume more sugar than usual by mixing spirits/sparkling with some sort of soda.
- Eat proper meals throughout the day as this helps you digest the alcohol and can slow down the rate of absorption. This does not mean that you can still drink as much as you want and be fine.
- Don’t wear alot of makeup. Alot of the times no one is even noticing your face and whether or not your face looks flawless. If you think you can get away with it, minimalise the amount of products you use. Occasionally all I bother with on a night out is tinted foundation, mascara and coloured eye liner. Minimal and easy! And no one really notices that I don’t have a full face of make up on.
- Drink water throughout the night.
- Drink more water before going to bed (however if you feel like it’s too much, don’t force yourself. There’s nothing worse than vomiting up watered down vomit).
- Get alot of sleep.
The Day After:
- Drink some water, as much as you can physically manage.
- Eat a good, hearty breakfast. It can be bacon and eggs but make sure you include some avocado or something with good fat and nutrients in it.
- If you have a headache, wait approximately an hour after drinking water as it may just be from dehydration rather than anything else. If you’re still headachy, pop a couple of panadols as well as a vitamin B tablet, as they can help with your metabolism as well as unlocking nutrients in foods.
- Jump straight into the shower. I tend to use an exfoliating scrub in the mornings and this is perfect after a night drinking because it really feels as if you’re cleaning your skin thoroughly.
- If you can, use a hydrating mask such as the SK-II’s as they make your skin feel amazing and alive again.
- If I go home fairly early, I’ll try to get a quick eye mask in. I pop two cotton balls into a mixture of half water and half skim milk until they are soaked, pop them in the freezer for 10 minutes, squeeze out the excess milk/water and then put them on my eyes for about 10 minutes. This can help reduce redness as well as bags under the eyes.
- Pop on some moisturiser, let it sink in for a few minutes and if you need to, put another layer on. If you need the second layer, you’ve really dehydrated your skin!
- Try to go make up free to let your skin breathe and recover from the night before.
- If you can manage it, get some exercise to rejuvenate yourself as well as your body and skin. Fresh air can do wonders to your skin and exercising can help eliminate all those toxins in your body.
- Eat well for the rest of the day, drink lots of water and try not to drink anything alcoholic.
Pretty simple steps but things that everyone forgets when they’re feeling all crappy from drinking the night before. Best thing to do is not too get so drunk and tired the night before that you forget to look after your skin!